International Conference on Digital Library and Cultural Relics Preservation and Use in the Big Data Environment
The future will experience scientific and technological development under the effects of a Big Data environment. These new technologies will surely apply widely to digital library and cultural relic preservation and use. We will face many challenges like the ones in the following areas: how to better study and use digital resources in the new Big Data environment? How can we permanently store digital assets in the field of cultural relics? How do we integrate and use multi-source data information and how to do data security? How to develop large image database platforms, etc.? To consider these questions, the 2015 Dunhuang Forum: International Conference on Digital Library and Cultural Relics Preservation and Use in the Big Data Environment will be held in August 2015 at Mogao Grottoes, the world cultural heritage site. The conference will be jointly hosted by Dunhuang Academy, the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, C. V. Starr East Asian Library at University of California at Berkeley, Department of History of Art and Architecture at Harvard University, and the National Research Center for Conservation of Ancient Wall Paintings and Earthen sites. We cordially invite experts and scholars like you at home and abroad who specialized in related areas to join the conference to discuss and share achievements of your research findings and applications. The ongoing project of the “Digital Dunhuang” at Mogao Grottoes will be the highlighted topic for the conference discussion to attract and share scholarly achievements and work together to help carry forward the project.
We highly appreciate your scholarly achievements and sincerely invite you to attend the conference.
The following are conference details.
Ⅰ. Conference Hosts
Graduate School of Library and Information Science at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA);
C. V. Starr East Asian Library at University of California at Berkeley (USA);
Department of History of Art and Architecture, Harvard University (USA);
National Research Center for Conservation of Ancient Wall Paintings and Earthen Sites (China)
Tsinghua Tongfang Co. Ltd
Information Center for Dunhuang Studies, Dunhuang Academy;
Cultural Relics Digitization Institute, Dunhuang Academy;
Key Laboratory for Conservation of Ancient Wall Paintings and Earthen Sites
Ⅱ. Location: Mogao Grottoes, Dunhuang, Gansu Province, China
Ⅲ. Time schedule
1. 2015 Conference schedule
August 23: Registration (at Dunhuang City)
August 24-26: Conference (at Mogao Grottoes)
August 24: Opening Ceremony & Discussion
August 25: Conference Discussion
August 26: AM: Panel Discussion on “Digital Dunhuang”
PM: Tour of Mogao Grottoes and Digital Images Acquisition Sites
August 27-28: Tour of World Cultural Heritage Sites (Yumen Pass, Xuanquan Site, Suoyang Town, Yulin Grottoes in Guazhou (180 kilometers to the southeast of Dunhuang)
August 29: Departure
1. Development of digital libraries and needs of users in the big data environment;
2. Cultural resource acquisition and management under the open environment;
3. Permanent preservation and life cycle of digital resources;
4. Construction of “Digital Dunhuang” and integration of multi-sources of digital information in the big data environment;
5. Model development for the special resources industry in digitization of cultural relics;
6. Acquisition and retrieval of humanity information in images digitization of cultural relics;
7. Construction of large image database platform and image retrieval;
8. Application of cloud computing and storage in the future digital field.
The conference attendees shall be responsible for round-trip airfares and hotel expenses.
Ⅵ. Conference Proceedings
1. The formal conference delegates are required to deliver papers written in English or Chinese.
2. Please send proposed paper title and abstract in Chinese and English to conference contact persons by the end of April 2015. After the conference secretariat receives the response, the invitation letter (No.2) will be sent out in the beginning of May 2015. [Receipt Download]
3. Please send the full paper or Powerpoint slides of the presentation to the conference secretariat by July 15th, 2015. All papers will be compiled for discussion during the conference, then later, selected and compiled by the editorial committee for publication.
Ⅶ. For more detail and update information, please visit the website at http://www.dha.ac.cn
January 25, 2015